Your orthodontist can help you with a lot more than just tooth alignment.
October is National Orthodontic Health Month, as well as a month filled with gorgeous autumn foliage, Halloween, and National Orthodontic Health Month! This national award’s purpose is to increase awareness about the benefits of orthodontic treatment. Keep reading for some quick orthodontic facts if you’re not sure what that implies or how it pertains to you.
What exactly does the term “orthodontics” imply?
Orthodontics is a dental specialty that deals with the diagnosis, supervision, guiding, and correction of malocclusions, according to the American Association of Orthodontists (the imperfect position of the teeth when the jaw is closed).
- Braces are worn by 4.5 million persons in the United States, with around a quarter of them being adults.
- Adult braces are becoming more popular, despite the fact that youngsters aged 10 to 14 are the best candidates for braces.
- Overbite correction is the second most popular cause for braces, behind straight teeth.
What are a few of the advantages of orthodontic treatment?
An orthodontist’s primary purpose is to assist patients in achieving their ideal smile. In addition to producing an appealing smile, good dental alignment enhances daily functions such as speaking and biting, as well as preventing cavities. The following goals can be achieved with the help of an orthodontist:
- Correcting gaps in teeth
- Straightening and aligning teeth
- Improving your ability to speak and chew.
- Improving your gums and teeth’s long-term health.
- Fixing bite issues
What happens if my braces aren’t adjusted properly?
Oral health and tooth function may be jeopardized if orthodontic irregularities are not rectified. Any or all of the following may be encountered:
- Chances for tooth decay increases
- Periodontal disease
- Trouble speaking clearly
- Disruptions in sleep
Are braces my only orthodontic treatment option?
No! Orthodontic treatment has come a long way in recent years. Thanks to technology advancements and treatment alternatives, orthodontics is now more accessible than ever before.
Are you planning anything special to commemorate National Orthodontic Health Month? Make an appointment with our Orthodontics team at West U Smiles to begin your journey to a healthy and attractive smile.